Saturday, July 18, 2009

Teenage Boys - Eww

teenage boy

I am the mother of a 13 year old boy. Little boys are cute, and sometimes gross. They like to play in the mud and dirt, they play with snails and bugs, and they are in general semi-disgusting.

Teenage boys are worse. They're growing hair in places that a mother does not want to see (get your mind out of the gutter people, I'm talking about his armpits). They smell. Come on kid, I buy you deoderant for a reason. Take a shower and put some on! Then there is the hair on his upper lip - I'm too young to have a kid old enough to shave!! For goodness sakes, when did this happen??? Leg hair galore, I don't even want to know about hair anywhere else... but he tells me anyway.

One one hand, I don't want him to feel embarrased to talk to me about anything, especially while he is going through the difficulties of puberty, but did he really just tell me that? And how can I convince him that it's wrong for him to walk around in his underwear all of a sudden when it wasn't a problem before? Not only that, but his father still does it and that doesn't bother me. Well, I don't have an issue with seeing my husband's "package", but my son - EWWW! I don't want to know how big it may or may not be, I really don't want to know anything about it unless it is a medical type issue that a doctor may need to know about. But if I tell him that, or show disgust or embarrasment at discussions of such a private nature, he may start to feel uncomfortable talking to me, which is the last thing I want. So I'll suck it up, but get him shorts to wear to bed, and try and do what a good mommy would do for her son that is growing up WAY too fast.

I guess it could be worse, he could be walking around naked. Or really worse, he could feel like he can't talk to me about stuff, and have a big problem come down the way in the future. I miss the easier times when it was as simple as feed him, bathe him, change him, and love him. But he is turning into a fine young man, and as grossed out as I am occasionally, he is very smart, kindhearted, fit, likeable, honest and has a plan for his future that he is willing to work for. What more could a mother really ask? Top it all off, he's super cute, so I know my grandbabies are going to be adoreble. :) Not that I want grandkids anytime soon, he's still too young for that!

Until next time,

The Blogoholic

1 comments:

Robin said...

aw.....That was a wonderful post.
I hope you and yours have a beautiful day today.

Post a Comment